Paola Alberti was born in Como in 1985.
EDUCATION AND TRAINING
July 2010: Degree: MD – 110/110 cum laude – University of Milano-Bicocca (Monza, Italy)
June 2016 – Degree: Board in Neurology – 70/70 cum laude – University of Milano-Bicocca (Monza, Italy)
February 2019 – Degree: PhD in Neuroscience – University of Milano-Bicocca (Monza, Italy)
RESEARCH INTEREST AND PROFESSIONAL EXPERIENCE
Her main expertise is related to peripheral nervous system diseases, especially Chemotherapy Induced Peripheral Neurotoxicity (CIPN). She is an active member of the Toxic Neuropathy Consortium (TNC), part of the Peripheral Nerve Society (PNS). During the Residency in Neurology, she was a visiting fellow at Johns Hopkins University (Prof. D.R. Cornblath, MD) to refine her knowledge of neurophysiological techniques. Since 2015 she has been pursuing an interest for preclinical research and joined the Experimental Neurology Unit (ENU, University of Milano-Bicocca) team, where she completed the PhD program in Neuroscience (2019). Her PhD project was focused on Oxaliplatin Induced Peripheral Neurotoxicity in preclinical models: she introduced advanced neurophysiological techniques, nerve excitability testing, to ENU after having learnt them from Prof H. Bostock, (UCL, London). She was a visiting fellow at University of Baltimore (Prof. S.G. Dorsey and Prof C. Renn) where learned DRG recordings in preclinical models. Since August 2016 she is a consultant Neurologist at San Gerardo Hospital (ASST Monza, Italy): she is the treating physician for outpatients affected by CIPN (Ambulatorio di Fragilità Neurologica). She is the PI in this Center for the INTERNATIONAL CHEMOTHERAPY-INDUCED NEUROTOXICITY (CIPN) ASSESSMENT AND VALIDATION STUDY (ICAVS, NCT04633655) which involves 30 Centers around the globe (US, Canada, South America, Africa, India, Asia, Australia). In the same Center, she is also PI of the CIPN COST study (www.cipncare.com, NCT04986891), aiming at ascertaining socio-economic burden related to CIPN (awarded a 55,000 euros grant, by UNIMIB), and of the NEUPER study (NCT05088681), aiming at ascertain efficacy of physical treatment to reverse sensory ataxia due to polyneuropathy.
She is responsible for human anatomy teaching courses (at UNIMIB since 2016 and at Lunex University since 2020).
SKILLS AND EXPERTISE
- Standard and advanced neurophysiology at a clinical and preclinical level
- Morphological and morphometrical analysis of peripheral nerves and DRG
- Clinical trial design and data analysis
- Johns Hopkins University (Prof. DR Cornblath, MD; Baltimore, US)
- University of Maryland (Prof. S.G. Dorsey, PhD, and Prof. C. Renn, PhD; Baltimore, US)
- Politecnico di Milano (Prof. U. Spagnolini, PhD; Milan, Italy)
- University of Padua (Prof. C. Briani, MD; Padua, Italy)
- Saint Andrews State General Hospital of Patras (Andreas Argyriou, MD; Patras, Greece)
- University of Michigan (Ellen Smith, PhD)
- Hospital Universitari de Bellvitge-ICO l’Hospitalet (J. Bruna, MD, PhD; Barcelona, Spain)
- Maastricht University Medical Center (ISJ Merkies, MD, PhD, and CG Faber, MD, PhD; Maastricht, the Netherlands)
- Kathryn W. Davis Center for Regenerative Biology and Medicine (Prof. Sandra Rieger, PhD; Bar Harbor, US))
- Georgia Institute of Technology (Nick Housley, PhD, Atlanta, Georgia, US).
POSITIONS AND HONORS
- Member of the Editorial Board of the International Journal of Molecular Science (since 2020)
- Teaching activities of Histology and Human Anatomy (since 2016) at University Milano-Bicocca (courses: “Ottica ed Optometria”, “School of Medicine and Surgery [course held in English language]”).
- Consultant Neurologist/Neurophysiologist since 2016 (ASST Monza, Italy)
ROLES IN NATIONAL/INTERNATIONAL SCIENTIFIC SOCIETIES
- 2022 – Chair of the MASCC Neurological Complications study group, of the Multinational Association of Supportive Care in Cancer (MASCC), Canada
- 2021 – Institutional panel member on the EAN Scientific Panel Neuroscience/translational neurology, Austria
- 2021 – Vice chair of the PNS Junior board and Toxic Neuropathy Consortium repr., USA
- 2020 – Co-chair of the CIPN working group of the MASCC, Canada
AWARDS AND GRANTS
- Awarded Premio Giovani Talenti 2021 (first place, Accademia dei Lincei/University of Milano Bicocca)
- Awarded Bicocca starting grant (December 2020) as PI for the conduction of a 12 months research project focused on socio-economic burden related to (personal grant: 55,000 euros)
- Awarded Premio Giovani Talenti 2020 (second place, Accademia dei Lincei/University of Milano Bicocca)
- Awarded AIPN prize 2018 for the best oral presentation at the ASNP meeting 2018 (Rome, Italy) for the contribution: “Oxaliplatin Induced Peripheral Neurotoxicity: a rat model that reproduces acute and chronic phenomena”
- Awarded second place at Falling Wall Labs 2017 among all Italian participants with the project “Breaking the wall of Chemotherapy Induced Peripheral Neurotox” (https://www.ilmonferrato.it/articolo/Jcn_67YIVUeaUmNfCALLLw/e-di-chiara-l-idea-migliore-dei-falling-walls-del-sobrero).
- Travel grants as Young Presenting Author (oral communications) for these meetings: ASNP meeting 2013 (Verona, Italy), PNS meeting 2013 (Saint Malò, France), ASNP meeting 2014 (Sorrento, Italy), EFNS 2014 (Istanbul, Turkey), PNS meeting 2015 (Quebec City, Canada), SIN 2016 (Venezia, Italy), SIN 2017 (Napoli, Italy), ASNP 2018 (Rome, Italy), ASNP 2019 (Padua, Italy).
INVITED SPEAKER AT NATIONAL AND INTERNATIONAL MEETINGS
1) Alberti, P (2012). Chemotherapy-induced Peripheral Neuropathy. Mediterranean Area Neurological Societies Meeting. Nicosia. Cyprus.
2) Alberti, P (2012). Reti europee e nazionali per la CIPN. Meeting at Camera dei Deputati, “Ricerca, innovazione e competitività: quali vantaggi per il paese e per i pazienti? Il farmaco: un settore trainante per la ricerca e lo sviluppo Da industria 2014 a Horizon 2020. Rome. Italy.
3) Alberti, P. (2013). Epidemiologia e clinica della CIPN. 36° Congresso Nazionale AISD. Verona, Italy.
4) Alberti, P. (2016). Neuropatia nei pazienti affetti da M. di Fabry. Advanced Master School Fabry. Monza. Italy.
5) Alberti, P. (2016). Oxaliplatin Induced Peripheral Neurotoxicity: what we know and what we need. VI European Conference on cured and chronic cancer patients. Syracuse. Italy.
6). Alberti P. (2017). Testi e siti. Primo incontro per gli specializzandi in Neurologia. Rome. Italy.
7) Alberti, P. (2017). Dolore neuropatico postchemio e radioterapia. XII convegno Trivento dei centri di terapia del dolore e cure palliative. Padova. Italy.
8) Alberti, P. (2018). Novità in materia di neuropatie periferiche. La richiesta di competenza neurologica nel prossimo futuro – Seconda edizione, meeting. Rome, Italy.
9) Alberti, P. (2020). Il dolore nel paziente oncologico. La richiesta di competenza neurologica nel prossimo futuro meeting. Rome (virtual event due to COVID-19 outbreak). Italy.
10) Alberti, P. (2021). Toxic, systemic disease and drug-related polyneuropathies. IV school on neuromuscular diseases. Lviv (virtual event due to COVID-19 outbreak). Ucraina.
11) Alberti P. (2021). Introduzione al mondo della ricerca. In Meeting “La richiesta di competenza neurologica nel prossimo futuro – Quinta edizione” meeting. Rome. Italy.
12) Alberti P. (2022). Different Approaches to CIPN Assessment: Serum Biomarkers. 2022 PNS meeting. Miami. USA.
13) Alberti P. (2022). Neurophysiological testing in preclinical models. Educational course of the 2022 PNS meeting. Miami. USA
She authored 70 publications on peer-review international journals. Her current H-index is 28 with more than 2280 citations since 2010 (Scopus, May 2022). Ten representative publications are reported here:
- Alberti P, Bernasconi DP, Cornblath DR, Merkies ISJ, Park SB, Velasco R, Bruna J, Psimaras D, Koeppen S, Pace A, Dorsey SG, Argyriou AA, Kalofonos HP, Briani C, Schenone A, Faber CG, Mazzeo A, Grisold W, Valsecchi M, Cavaletti G. Prospective Evaluation of Health Care Provider and Patient Assessments in Chemotherapy-Induced Peripheral Neurotoxicity. Neurology. 2021 Aug 17;97(7):e660-e672.
- Monza L, Fumagalli G, Chiorazzi A, Alberti P. Addressing the Need of a Translational Approach in Peripheral Neuropathy Research: Morphology Meets Function. Brain Sci. 2021 Jan 22;11(2).
- Alberti P, Lehmann HC. Chemotherapy induced peripheral neurotoxicity: Six essential articles for effective future research. Exp Neurol. 2021 Mar;337:113555.
- Alberti P. A review of novel biomarkers and imaging techniques for assessing the severity of chemotherapy-induced peripheral neuropathy. Expert Opin Drug Metab Toxicol. 2020 Dec;16(12):1147-1158.
- Alberti P, Beretta S, Piatti M, Karantzoulis A, Piatti ML, Santoro P, Viganò M, Giovannelli G, Pirro F, Montisano DA, Appollonio I, Ferrarese C. Guillain-Barré syndrome related to COVID-19 infection. Neurol Neuroimmunol Neuroinflamm. 2020 Jul;7(4).
- Alberti P. Role of neurophysiology in Chemotherapy-Induced Peripheral Neuropathy (CIPN). Clin Neurophysiol. 2020 Aug;131(8):1964-1965.
- Alberti P, Canta A, Chiorazzi A, Fumagalli G, Meregalli C, Monza L, Pozzi E, Ballarini E, Rodriguez-Menendez V, Oggioni N, Sancini G, Marmiroli P, Cavaletti G. Topiramate prevents oxaliplatin-related axonal hyperexcitability and oxaliplatin induced peripheral neurotoxicity. Neuropharmacology. 2020 Mar 1;164:107905.
- Alberti P. Platinum-drugs induced peripheral neurotoxicity: clinical course and preclinical evidence. Expert Opin Drug Metab Toxicol. 2019 Jun;15(6):487-497.
- Alberti P, Rossi E, Argyriou AA, Kalofonos HP, Briani C, Cacciavillani M, Campagnolo M, Bruna J, Velasco R, Cazzaniga ME, Cortinovis D, Valsecchi MG, Cavaletti G. Risk stratification of oxaliplatin induced peripheral neurotoxicity applying electrophysiological testing of dorsal sural nerve. Support Care Cancer. 2018 Sep;26(9):3143-3151.
- Alberti P, Rossi E, Cornblath DR, Merkies IS, Postma TJ, Frigeni B, Bruna J, Velasco R, Argyriou AA, Kalofonos HP, Psimaras D, Ricard D, Pace A, Galiè E, Briani C, Dalla Torre C, Faber CG, Lalisang RI, Boogerd W, Brandsma D, Koeppen S, Hense J, Storey D, Kerrigan S, Schenone A, Fabbri S, Valsecchi MG, Cavaletti G. Physician-assessed and patient-reported outcome measures in chemotherapy-induced sensory peripheral neurotoxicity: two sides of the same coin. Ann Oncol. 2014 Jan;25(1):257-64.
To see her complete bibliography, go to:
ORCID PROFILE: https://orcid.org/0000-0001-6106-6183
SCOPUS PROFILE: https://www.scopus.com/authid/detail.uri?authorId=7103068082
RESEARCHGATE PROFILE: https://www.researchgate.net/profile/Paola_Alberti
PUBMED BIBLIOGRAPHY: https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/myncbi/1z3K2q7fEG617Y/bibliography/public/