Paola Marmiroli was born in Milan. In 1984 she graduated in Medicine (110/110 cum laude) and in 1988 she boarded in Neurology (70/70 cum laude).
From 1989 to 2001 clinical position as neurologist at the Neurological Department of Vimercate General Hospital.
From April 2001 position of Assistant Professor in Human Anatomy at the School of Medicine and Surgery of the University of Milano-Bicocca, Milan.
From October 2019 position of Associate Professor in Human Anatomy at the Department of Biotechnology and Biosciences (BtBs) of the University of Milano-Bicocca, Milan.
Human Anatomy for Medical and Dental Surgery students (MD Program and DDS Program) at the School of Medicine and Surgery – University of Milano-Bicocca (previously also for Bachelor’s degree in Nursing and Midwifery)
Neuroanatomy for Residency Program in Neurology and Neuropsychiatry – University of Milano-Bicocca
Director of Master in Osteopathic Sciences in 2014-2015 and 2016-2017- University of Milano-Bicocca
Morphological studies in the field of neuroanatomy, immunohistochemical studies in peripheral nervous system pathology, research in neurotoxicity of anticancer drugs in animal models. Study of neuropathological changes of the central nervous system in metabolic, immunological and inflammatory diseases.
Recent and current activity:
- Study of neurotoxicity of anticancer drugs on peripheral nervous system: collaboration in developing new in vivo and in vitro animal models of chemotherapy-induced peripheral neuropathies to understand their pathogenesis and to test neuroprotective compounds.
- Study of the neuropathological changes in animal models of metabolic disease and of multiple sclerosis (EAE).
- Study of Neuroinflammation in aging
- Study on the effect of particulate matter in cardiovascular and neurodegeneration
PhD Program in Neuroscience – University of Milano-Bicocca
Since 2002 Member of the Academic Board – University of Milano-Bicocca
Since 2020 deputy coordinator of the PhD Program in Neuroscience
GRANTS OBTAINED FROM COMPETITIVE CALLS AS PRINCIPAL INVESTIGATOR (last 10 years)
- Three grants from Fondazione Banca del Monte di Lombardia (2014-2017)
Project title: “Pre-clinical study on the mechanisms of neurotoxicity of cancer chemotherapy”
- Grant from Fondazione Cariplo (2014-2018)
Project title: “Understanding the pathogenesis of oxaliplatin-induced peripheral neurotoxicity”
Grants obtained from competitive calls as participant (last 10 years)
2020-2023 : Italian Ministry of University and Research, 2017 PRIN grant, Pathogenesis of Chemotherapy-Induced Peripheral Neurotoxicity (Pa-CIPN) ID 2017ZFJCS3 – Role: participant
2019-2024: Regione Lombardia competitive “Research and Innovation Hub” grant, ImmunHub – Role: participant
2016-2018 : Italian Association for Cancer Research (AIRC), Synchrotron radiation-enhanced metal-based chemotherapy in the treatment of solid tumors – Role: participant
2013-2016 grant from Fondazione Cariplo for a 3-year project titled : “Diabetic peripheral neuropathy; relationship between neuroactive steroids and myelin lipid synthesis” – Role: participant
2011-2013 : grant from Regione Lombardia for the project “Network Enabled Drug Design (NEDD)” – Role: participant
PUBLICATIONS and INDICES
Author of 85 papers on international peer-reviewed journals (PubMed).
Scopus H-index = 33 – Citations: 3844
Scopus Author ID: 6603570341
ORCID Id: http://orcid.org/0000-0002-7590-7649
Web of Science Researcher ID: AAB-6077-2022
SELECTION OF MOST RECENT PUBBLICATIONS
- Guido Cavaletti, Paola Marmiroli, Cynthia L. Renn, Susan G. Dorsey, Maria Pina Serra, Marina Quartu, Cristina Meregalli. Cannabinoids: an Effective Treatment for Chemotherapy‑Induced Peripheral Neurotoxicity? Neurotherapeutics. 2021 Oct;18(4):2324-2336. doi: 10.1007/s13311-021-01127-1. Epub 2021 Oct 19.PMID: 34668147
- Meregalli C, Maricich Y, Cavaletti G, Canta A, Carozzi VA, Chiorazzi A, Newbold E, Marmiroli P, Ceresa C, Diani A, Papapetropoulos S, Lee MS. Reversal of Bortezomib-Induced Neurotoxicity by Suvecaltamide, a Selective T-Type Ca-Channel Modulator, in Preclinical Models. Cancers (Basel). 2021 Oct 7;13(19):5013. doi: 10.3390/cancers13195013. PMID: 34638498
- Meregalli C, Monza L, Chiorazzi A, Scali C, Guarnieri C, Fumagalli G, Alberti P, Pozzi E, Canta A, Ballarini E, Rodriguez-Menendez V, Oggioni N, Cavaletti G, Marmiroli P. (2021). Human Intravenous Immunoglobulin Alleviates Neuropathic Symptoms in a Rat Model of Paclitaxel-Induced Peripheral Neurotoxicity. Int J Mol Sci. 2021 Jan 21;22(3): 1058. doi: 10.3390/ijms22031058.
- Pozzi E, Fumagalli G, Chiorazzi A, Canta A, Meregalli C, Monza L, Carozzi VA, Oggioni N, Rodriguez-Menendez V, Cavaletti G, Marmiroli P. The relevance of multimodal assessment in experimental oxaliplatin-induced peripheral neurotoxicity. Exp Neurol. 2020 Sep 1:113458. doi:10.1016/j.expneurol.2020.113458. PMID: 32889007
- Milani C, Farina F, Botto L, Massimino L, Lonati E, Donzelli E, Ballarini E, Crippa L, Marmiroli P, Bulbarelli A, Palestini P. Systemic Exposure to Air Pollution Induces Oxidative Stress and Inflammation in Mouse Brain, Contributing to Neurodegeneration Onset. Int J Mol Sci. 2020 May 24;21(10):E3699. doi:10.3390/ijms21103699. PMID: 32456361.
- Meregalli C, Fumagalli G, Alberti P, Canta A, Chiorazzi A, Monza L, Pozzi E, Carozzi VA, Blennow K, Zetterberg H, Cavaletti G, Marmiroli P. Neurofilament light chain: a specific serum biomarker of axonal damage severity in rat models of Chemotherapy-Induced Peripheral Neurotoxicity. Arch Toxicol. 2020 Jul;94(7):2517-2522. doi: 10.1007/s00204-020-02755-w. Epub 2020 Apr 24.PMID: 32333051.
- Murtaj V, Belloli S, Di Grigoli G, Pannese M, Ballarini E, Rodriguez-Menendez V, Marmiroli P, Cappelli A, Masiello V, Monterisi C, Bellelli G, Panina-Bordignon P, Moresco RM. Age and Sex Influence the Neuro-inflammatory Response to a Peripheral Acute LPS Challenge. Front Aging Neurosci. 2019 Nov 5;11:299. doi: 10.3389/fnagi.2019.00299.
- Farina F, Lonati E, Milani C, Massimino L, Ballarini E, Donzelli E, Crippa L, Marmiroli P, Botto L, Corsetto PA, Sancini G, Bulbarelli A, Palestini P. In Vivo Comparative Study on Acute and Sub-acute Biological Effects Induced by Ultrafine Particles of Different Anthropogenic Sources in BALB/c Mice. Int J Mol Sci. 2019 Jun 8;20(11). pii: E2805. doi: 10.3390/ijms20112805.
- Marmiroli P, Riva B, Pozzi E, Ballarini E, Lim D, Chiorazzi A, Meregalli C, Distasi C, Renn CL, Semperboni S, Morosi L, Ruffinatti FA, Zucchetti M, Dorsey SG, Cavaletti G, Genazzani A, Carozzi VA. Susceptibility of different mouse strains to oxaliplatin peripheral neurotoxicity: Phenotypic and genotypic insights. PLoS One. 2017 Oct 11;12(10):e0186250. doi: 10.1371/journal.pone.0186250. eCollection 2017
Find out more on SCOPUS
INTERNATIONAL ACADEMIC COLLABORATIONS
- Centre for pain studies – University of Maryland, Baltimore, MD, USA (Prof. S. Dorsey)
- Department of Internal Medicine D and Interdisciplinary Center for Clinical Research (IZKF), University Hospital Münster, Münster, Germany (Prof. G. Ciarimboli)
- Johns Hopkins University, Baltimore, MD (Prof. D. Cornblath, Prof. A. Hoke, Dr. B. Slusher)