Paola Alberti was born in Como in 1985.
EDUCATION AND TRAINING
- July 2010: Degree: MD – 110/110 cum laude – University of Milano-Bicocca (Monza, Italy)
- June 2016 – Degree: Board in Neurology – 70/70 cum laude – University of Milano-Bicocca (Monza, Italy)
- February 2019 – Degree: PhD in Neuroscience – University of Milano-Bicocca (Monza, Italy)
RESEARCH INTEREST AND PROFESSIONAL EXPERIENCE
Her main expertise is related to peripheral nervous system diseases, especially Chemotherapy Induced Peripheral Neurotoxicity (CIPN). She is an active member of the Toxic Neuropathy Consortium (TNC, https://sites.google.com/campus.unimib.it/tncwebsite/tnc-home-page), part of the Peripheral Nervous System (PNS) society. During the Residency in Neurology, she was a visiting fellow at Johns Hopkins University (Prof. D.R. Cornblath, MD) to refine her knowledge of neurophysiological techniques. Since 2015 she has been pursuing an interest for preclinical research and joined the Experimental Neurology Unit (ENU, University of Milano-Bicocca) team, where she completed the PhD program in Neuroscience (2019). Her PhD project was focused on Oxaliplatin Induced Peripheral Neurotoxicity in preclinical models: she introduced advanced neurophysiological techniques, nerve excitability testing, to ENU after having learnt them from Prof H. Bostock, (UCL, London). She was a visiting fellow at University of Baltimore (Prof. S.G. Dorsey and Prof C. Renn) where learned DRG recordings in preclinical models. Since August 2016 she is a consultant Neurologist at San Gerardo Hospital (ASST Monza, Italy): she is the treating physician for outpatients affected by CIPN (“Ambulatorio di Fragilità Neurologica”). She is the PI in this Center for the INTERNATIONAL CHEMOTHERAPY-INDUCED NEUROTOXICITY (CIPN) ASSESSMENT AND VALIDATION STUDY (ICAVS, see: International CIPN Assessment and Validation Study – Full Text View – ClinicalTrials.gov) which involves 30 Centers around the globe (US, Canada, South America, Africa, India, Asia, Australia). She is involved in human anatomy teaching courses.
SKILLS AND EXPERTISE
- Standard and advanced neurophysiology at a clinical and preclinical level
- Morphological and morphometrical analysis of peripheral nerves and DRG
- Clinical trial design and data analysis
- Johns Hopkins University (Prof. DR Cornblath, MD; Baltimore, US)
- University of Maryland (Prof. S.G. Dorsey, PhD, and Prof. C. Renn, PhD; Baltimore, US)
- Politecnico di Milano (Prof. U. Spagnolini, PhD; Milan, Italy)
- University of Padua (Prof. C. Briani, MD; Padua, Italy)
- Saint Andrews State General Hospital of Patras (Andreas Argyriou, MD; Patras, Greece)
- University of Michigan (Ellen Smith, PhD)
- Hospital Universitari de Bellvitge-ICO l’Hospitalet (J. Bruna, MD, PhD; Barcelona, Spain)
- Maastricht University Medical Center (ISJ Merkies, MD, PhD, and CG Faber, MD, PhD; Maastricht, the Netherlands)
- Kathryn W. Davis Center for Regenerative Biology and Medicine (Prof. Sandra Rieger, PhD; Bar Harbor, US))
POSITIONS AND HONORS
- Member of the Editorial Board of the International Journal of Molecular Science (since 2020)
- Co-chair of the CIPN working group for the Neurological Complications Study Group Meeting of MASCC (since 2020)
- Active member of the PNS Communications & Website Committee Meeting (since 2020)
- Teaching activities of Histology and Human Anatomy (since 2016) at University Milano-Bicocca (courses: “Ottica ed Optometria”, “School of Medicine and Surgery [course held in English language]”).
- Consultant Neurologist/Neurophysiologist since 2016 (ASST Monza, Italy)
- Awarded Bicocca starting grant (December 2020) as PI for the conduction of a 12 month research project focused on socio-economical consequences of CIPN: personal grant of 55,000 euros
- Awarded Premio Giovani Talenti 2020 (Accedemia dei Lincei/University of Milano Bicocca): personal grant of 2000 euros.
- Awarded AIPN prize 2018 for the best oral presentation at the ASNP meeting 2018 (Rome, Italy) for the contribution: “Oxaliplatin Induced Peripheral Neurotoxicity: a rat model that reproduces acute and chronic phenomena”
- Awarded second place at Falling Wall Labs 2017 among all Italian participants with the project “Breaking the wall of Chemotherapy Induced Peripheral Neurotox” (https://www.ilmonferrato.it/articolo/Jcn_67YIVUeaUmNfCALLLw/e-di-chiara-l-idea-migliore-dei-falling-walls-del-sobrero)
- Travel grants as Young Presenting Author (oral communications) for these meetings: ASNP meeting 2013 (Verona, Italy), PNS meeting 2013 (Saint Malò, France), ASNP meeting 2014 (Sorrento, Italy), EFNS 2014 (Istanbul, Turkey), PNS meeting 2015 (Quebec City, Canada), SIN 2016 (Venezia, Italy), SIN 2017 (Napoli, Italy), ASNP 2018 (Rome, Italy), ASNP 2019 (Padua, Italy).
INVITED SPEAKER AT NATIONAL AND INTERNATIONAL MEETINGS
- Alberti, P (2012). Chemotherapy-induced Peripheral Neuropathy. 2012 Meeting Mediterranean Area Neurological Societies Meeting. Cyprus
- Alberti, P. (2013). Epidemiologia e clinica della CIPN. 36° Congresso Nazionale AISD. Verona
- Alberti, P. (2016). Neuropatia nei pazienti affetti da M. di Fabry. Advanced Master School Fabry. Monza
- Alberti, P. (2016). OXALIPLATIN INDUCED PERIPHERAL NEUROTOXICITY: WHAT WE KNOW AND WHAT WE NEED. “VI European Conference on cured and chronic cancer patients ” 23-24 September Syracuse
- Alberti P- (2017) “TESTI E SITI”. Primo incontro per gli specializzandi in Neurologia. Roma, 26 Marzo 2017.
- Alberti, P. (2017). Dolore neuropatico postchemio e radioterapia. Padova, XII convegno Trivento dei centri di terapia del dolore e cure palliative
- Alberti, P. (2018). Novità in materia di neuropatie periferiche. Meeting “La richiesta di competenza neurologica nel prossimo futuro – Seconda edizione” Rome, 2018.
- Alberti, P. (2020). Il dolore nel paziente oncologico. Meeting “La richiesta di competenza neurologica nel prossimo futuro” Rome (converted into virtual meeting due to COVID-19 outbreak), June 2020.
- Alberti, P. (2021). Toxic, systemic disease and drug-related polyneuroathies. IV school on neuromuscolar diseases. Lviv, Ucraina (data to be defined according to COVID-19 emergency).
She authored 58 publications on peer-review international journals. Her current H-index is 22 with more than 1570 citations since 2010 (Scopus, December 2020). Here 5 representative publications are reported:
- Alberti P. A review of novel biomarkers and imaging techniques for assessing the severity of chemotherapy-induced peripheral neuropathy. Expert Opin Drug Metab Toxicol. 2020 Dec;16(12):1147-1158.
- Alberti P, Beretta S, Piatti M, Karantzoulis A, Piatti ML, Santoro P, Viganò M, Giovannelli G, Pirro F, Montisano DA, Appollonio I, Ferrarese C. Guillain-Barré syndrome related to COVID-19 infection. Neurol Neuroimmunol Neuroinflamm. 2020 Jul;7(4). doi: 10.1212/NXI.0000000000000741.
- Alberti P, Canta A, Chiorazzi A, Fumagalli G, Meregalli C, Monza L, Pozzi E, Ballarini E, Rodriguez-Menendez V, Oggioni N, Sancini G, Marmiroli P, Cavaletti G. Topiramate prevents oxaliplatin-related axonal hyperexcitability and oxaliplatin induced peripheral neurotoxicity. Neuropharmacology. 2020 Mar 1;164:107905. doi: 10.1016/j.neuropharm.2019.107905. Epub 2019 Dec 4. PubMed PMID: 31811874.
- Alberti P, Rossi E, Argyriou AA, Kalofonos HP, Briani C, Cacciavillani M, Campagnolo M, Bruna J, Velasco R, Cazzaniga ME, Cortinovis D, Valsecchi MG, Cavaletti G. Risk stratification of oxaliplatin induced peripheral neurotoxicity applying electrophysiological testing of dorsal sural nerve. Support Care Cancer. 2018 Sep;26(9):3143-3151. doi: 10.1007/s00520-018-4170-9.
- Alberti P, Rossi E, Cornblath DR, Merkies IS, Postma TJ, Frigeni B, Bruna J, Velasco R, Argyriou AA, Kalofonos HP, Psimaras D, Ricard D, Pace A, Galiè E, Briani C, Dalla Torre C, Faber CG, Lalisang RI, Boogerd W, Brandsma D, Koeppen S, Hense J, Storey D, Kerrigan S, Schenone A, Fabbri S, Valsecchi MG, Cavaletti G. Physician-assessed and patient-reported outcome measures in chemotherapy-induced sensory peripheral neurotoxicity: two sides of the same coin. Ann Oncol. 2014 Jan;25(1):257-64. doi: 10.1093/annonc/mdt409.
To see the complete bibliography, go to:
- ORCID PROFILE: https://orcid.org/0000-0001-6106-6183
- SCOPUS PROFILE: https://www.scopus.com/authid/detail.uri?authorId=7103068082
- RESARCH GATE PROFILE: https://www.researchgate.net/profile/Paola_Alberti