Paola Alberti was born in Como in 1985.
EDUCATION AND TRAINING
- July 2010: Degree: MD – 110/110 cum laude – University of Milano-Bicocca (Monza, Italy)
- June 2016 – Degree: Board in Neurology – 70/70 cum laude – University of Milano-Bicocca (Monza, Italy)
- February 2019 – Degree: PhD in Neuroscience – University of Milano-Bicocca (Monza, Italy)
RESEARCH INTEREST AND PROFESSIONAL EXPERIENCE
Since she was an undergraduate student in Medicine and Surgery, she has been actively involved in Chemotherapy Induced Peripheral Neurotoxicity (CIPN) research, taking part to the international US/EU multicenter clinical trial/group, CI-PeriNomS. She is now an active member of the Toxic Neuropathy Consortium (TNC, https://sites.google.com/campus.unimib.it/tncwebsite/tnc-home-page), part of the Peripheral Nervous System (PNS) society (https://www.pnsociety.com/i4a/pages/index.cfm?pageid=1).
During the Residency in Neurology she developed an interest in neurophysiology and was a visiting fellow at Johns Hopkins University (Prof. D.R. Cornblath, MD). Since 2015 she developed an interest also for preclinical CIPN research and joined the “in vivo group” at the Experimental Neurology Unit (ENU, University of Milano-Bicocca). She was enrolled in the PhD program in Neuroscience (Head: Prof. G. Cavaletti, MD), at the same University, obtaining the PhD degree in 2019. Her PhD project was focused on Oxaliplatin Induced Peripheral Neurotoxicity in rodent models: she introduced advanced neurophysiological techniques, nerve excitability testing, to ENU after having learnt them from Prof H. Bostock, (UCL, London). She also learned invasive DRG recordings in in vivo rodent models (Baltimore, Prof. S.G. Dorsey and Prof C. Renn).
Since August 2016 she has been given a clinical position as Neurologist/Neurophysiologist at San Gerardo Hospital (ASST Monza, Italy): she is the treating physician for outpatients affected by CIPN (“Ambulatorio di Fragilità Neurologica”).
SKILLS AND EXPERTISE
- Standard and advanced neurophysiology at a clinical and preclinical level
- Morphological and morphometrical analysis of peripheral nerves and DRG
- Clinical trial design and data analysis
- Johns Hopkins University (Prof. DR Cornblath, MD; Baltimore, US)
- University of Maryland (Prof. S.G. Dorsey, PhD, and Prof. C. Renn, PhD; Baltimore, US)
- Politecnico di Milano (Prof. U. Spagnolini, PhD; Milan, Italy)
- University of Padua (Prof. C. Briani, MD; Padua, Italy)
- Saint Andrews State General Hospital of Patras (Andreas Argyriou, MD; Patras, Greece)
- University of Michigan (Ellen Smith, PhD)
- Hospital Universitari de Bellvitge-ICO l’Hospitalet (J. Bruna, MD, PhD; Barcelona, Spain)
- Maastricht University Medical Center (ISJ Merkies, MD, PhD, and CG Faber, MD, PhD; Maastricht, the Netherlands)
- Kathryn W. Davis Center for Regenerative Biology and Medicine (Prof. Sandra Rieger, PhD; Bar Harbor, US))
POSITIONS AND HONORS
- Teaching activity of Histology and Human Anatomy (since 2016) at University Milano-Bicocca (courses: “Ottica ed Optometria”, “School of Medicine and Surgery [course held in English language]”).
- Consultant Neurologist/Neurophysiologist since 2016 (ASST Monza, Italy)
- Awarded AIPN prize 2018 for the best oral presentation at the ASNP meeting 2018 (Rome, Italy) for the contribution: “Oxaliplatin Induced Peripheral Neurotoxicity: a rat model that reproduces acute and chronic phenomena”
- Awarded second place at Falling Wall Labs 2017 among all Italian participants with the project “Breaking the wall of Chemotherapy Induced Peripheral Neurotox” (https://www.ilmonferrato.it/articolo/Jcn_67YIVUeaUmNfCALLLw/e-di-chiara-l-idea-migliore-dei-falling-walls-del-sobrero)
- Travel grants as Young Presenting Author (oral communications) for these meetings: ASNP meeting 2013 (Verona, Italy), PNS meeting 2013 (Saint Malò, France), ASNP meeting 2014 (Sorrento, Italy), EFNS 2014 (Istanbul, Turkey), PNS meeting 2015 (Quebec City, Canada), SIN 2016 (Venezia, Italy), SIN 2017 (Napoli, Italy), ASNP 2018 (Rome, Italy), ASNP 2019 (Padua, Italy).
INVITED SPEAKER AT NATIONAL AND INTERNATIONAL MEETINGS
- Alberti, P (2012). Chemotherapy-induced Peripheral Neuropathy. 2012 Meeting Mediterranean Area Neurological Societies Meeting. Cyprus
- Alberti, P. (2013). Epidemiologia e clinica della CIPN. 36° Congresso Nazionale AISD. Verona
- Alberti, P. (2016). Advanced Master School Fabry. Monza
- Alberti, P. (2016). OXALIPLATIN INDUCED PERIPHERAL NEUROTOXICITY: WHAT WE KNOW AND WHAT WE NEED. “VI European Conference on cured and chronic cancer patients ” 23-24 September Syracuse
- Alberti P- (2017) “TESTI E SITI”. Primo incontro per gli specializzandi in Neurologia. Roma, 26 Marzo 2017.
- Alberti, P. (2017). Dolore neuropatico postchemio e radioterapia. Padova, XII convegno Trivento dei centri di terapia del dolore e cure palliative
- She authored 40 publications on peer-review international journals. Her current H-index is 16 with more than 880 citations since 2010 (Scopus, February 2019). Here most relevant publications are reported.
- Alberti P, Rossi E, Argyriou AA, Kalofonos HP, Briani C, Cacciavillani M, Campagnolo M, Bruna J, Velasco R, Cazzaniga ME, Cortinovis D, Valsecchi MG, Cavaletti G. Risk stratification of oxaliplatin induced peripheral neurotoxicity applying electrophysiological testing of dorsal sural nerve. Supportive care in cancer: official journal of the Multinational Association of Supportive Care in Cancer. 2018
- Leblanc AF, Sprowl JA, Alberti P, Chiorazzi A, Arnold WD, Gibson AA, Hong KW, Pioso MS, Chen M, Huang KM, Chodisetty V, Costa O, Florea T, de Bruijn P, Mathijssen RH, Reinbolt RE, Lustberg MB, Sucheston-Campbell LE, Cavaletti G, Sparreboom A, Hu S. OATP1B2 deficiency protects against paclitaxel-induced neurotoxicity. J Clin Invest. 2018 Jan 16. [Epub ahead of print].
- Wozniak KM, Vornov JJ, Wu Y, Liu Y, Carozzi VA, Rodriquez-Menendez V, Ballarini E, Alberti P, Pozzi E, Semperboni S, Cook BM, Littlefield BA, Nomoto K, Condon K, Eckley S, DesJardins C, Wilson L, Jordan MA, Feinstein SC, Cavaletti G, Polydefkis M, Slusher BS. Peripheral neuropathy induced by microtubule-targeted chemotherapies: insights into acute injury and long-term recovery. Cancer Res. 2017 Nov 30. [Epub ahead of print].
- Alberti, P., Rossi, E., Cornblath, D.R., Merkies, I.S.J., Postma, T.J., Frigeni, B., Bruna, J., Velasco, R., Argyriou, A.A., Kalofonos, H.P., Psimaras, D., Ricard, D., Pace, A., Galiè, E., Briani, C., Dalla Torre, C., Faber, C.G., Lalisang, R.I., Boogerd, W., Brandsma, D., Koeppen, S., Hense, J., Storey, D., Kerrigan, S., Schenone, A., Fabbri, S., Valsecchi, M.G., Cavaletti, G. Physician-assessed and patient-reported outcome measures in chemotherapy-induced sensory peripheral neurotoxicity: Two sides of the same coin (2014) Annals of Oncology, 25 (1), art. no. mdt409, pp. 257-264.
- Cavaletti, G., Alberti, P., Marmiroli, P. Chemotherapy-induced peripheral neurotoxicity in the era of pharmacogenomics (2011) The Lancet Oncology, 12 (12), pp. 1151-1161.
Find out more on: