She graduated in Medical Biotechnology in 2008 and in 2011 she obtained a PhD Degree in Neuroscience at the University of Milan-Bicocca. Currently she is working in the laboratories of the Medicine and Surgery as PhD and Assistant Contract Professor. She is involved in different studies on neuropathic pain induced in rats and mice by the treatment with anti-neoplastic drugs commonly used in the cancer therapy of solid tumor. She is currently a member of the neurotoxicology group, working on antineoplastic drug peripheral neurotoxicity using in vitro and in vivo animal models. She is an active member of Italian Association of Peripheral Nervous System, International Association for the Study of Pain, American Association for Cancer Research and Italian Association for Laboratory Animal Science; moreover she was invited reviewer for international peer-review journals. She collaborated with other laboratories, as Istituto di Ricerche Farmacologiche Mario Negri, Milan and Bergamo; Istituto Nazionale Neurologico Carlo Besta, Milan. She has been a meeting presenter on chemotherapy-induced painful peripheral neuropathy at more than 50 national and international meetings. Invited reviewer for international peer-review journals
2017 FELASA accredited course F 023/09 for persons Functions A, C, D (species mice and rats and included
the additional task specific modules: 10, 20, 21, 22).
2008-2011 Ph.D. program in Neuroscience, Faculty of Medicine and Surgery, University of Milano – Bicocca.
2006-2008 Master of arts Medical Biotechnology, Faculty of Medicine and Surgery, University of Milano – Bicocca.
2003-2006 Three year Degree in Sanitary Biotechnology, Faculty of Science, University of Milano – Bicocca.
PREVIOUS RESULTS OF COMPETITIVE SELECTIONS AT UNIMIB
2018-2020: PhD and Assistant Contract Professor for University of Milan – Bicocca.
2016-2017: 2-year post-doctoral research contract (University grant), 1st placed.
2012-2015: repeated two-year post-doctoral research contract, University of Milan – Bicocca (University grant).
2020 Cariplo Young Italian Investigator Award
2017 Awarded second place at Young talents program sponsored by University of Milan-Bicocca and Accademia Nazionale dei Lincei
2014: Disease Models & Mechanisms the company of Biologists, Travelling Fellowship
2013: AISAL (Associazione Italiana delle Scienze degli Animali da Laboratorio)
2010: Neupsig Congress Bursary Award, Athens, Greece
LONG-TERM TRAINING EXPERIENCES IN FOREIGN LABORATORIES
2016: 4-month full time training period in mitochondrial trafficking measure in DRG neurons primary cultures from adult mice by confocal microscopy. University of Michigan, Ann Arbor, USA
2014: 3-month full time training period in electrophysiological determination of electrical activity in the rat dorsal horn of spinal cord. Centre on Pain Study, School of Nursing, University of Maryland, Baltimore (MD).
Academic year 2017/2018, 2018/2019 and 2019/2020: Teaching activity of Microscopic Anatomy at University Milan Bicocca (“School of Medicine and Surgery [course held in English language])
Academic year 2018/2019: Teaching activity of Histology at University Milan Bicocca (“School of Medicine and Surgery: cytology, histology, and embryology”, [course held in English language])
Academic years 2018, 2017, 2016: Teaching in the PhD program activity on the topic “Molecular pathway and neurotoxicity” for PhD student in Neuroscience
MOST RELEVANT PUBLICATIONS
- Alberti P, Canta A, Chiorazzi A, Fumagalli G, Meregalli C, Monza L, Pozzi E, Ballarini E, Rodriguez- Menendez V, Oggioni N, Sancini G, Marmiroli P, Cavaletti G. Topiramate prevents oxaliplatin-related axonal hyperexcitability and oxaliplatin induced peripheral neurotoxicity. Neuropharmacology. 2020 Mar 1;164:107905.
- Malacrida A, Meregalli C, Rodriguez-Menendez V, Nicolini G. Chemotherapy-Induced Peripheral Neuropathy and Changes in Cytoskeleton. Int J Mol Sci. 2019 May 9;20(9). pii: E2287.
- Tesei A, Cortesi M, Pignatta S, Arienti C, Dondio GM, Bigogno C, Malacrida A, Miloso M, Meregalli C, Chiorazzi A, Carozzi V, Cavaletti G, Rui M, Marra A, Rossi D, Collina S. Anti-tumor Efficacy Assessment of the Sigma Receptor Pan Modulator RC-106. A Promising Therapeutic Tool for Pancreatic Cancer. Front Pharmacol. 2019 May 14;10:490.
- Meregalli C, Marjanovic I, Scali C, Monza L, Spinoni N, Galliani C, Brivio R, Chiorazzi A, Ballarini E, Rodriguez-Menendez V, Carozzi VA, Alberti P, Fumagalli G, Pozzi E, Canta A, Quartu M, Briani C, Oggioni N, Marmiroli P, Cavaletti G. High-dose intravenous immunoglobulins reduce nerve macrophage infiltration and the severity of bortezomib-induced peripheral neurotoxicity in rats. J Neuroinflammation. 2018 Aug 21;15(1):232.
- Meregalli C, Fumagalli G, Alberti P, Canta A, Carozzi VA, Chiorazzi A, Monza L, Pozzi E, Sandelius Å, Blennow K, Zetterberg H, Marmiroli P, Cavaletti G. Neurofilament light chain as disease biomarker in a rodent model of chemotherapy induced peripheral neuropathy. Exp Neurol. 2018 Sep;307:129-132.
Find out more on SCOPUS