Paola Marmiroli was born in Milan. In 1984 she graduated in Medicine (110/110 cum laude) and in 1988 she boarded in Neurology (70/70 cum laude). From 1989 to 2001 clinical position as neurologist at the Neurological Department of Vimercate General Hospital.
From April 2001 position of Assistant Professor in Human Anatomy at the School of Medicine and Surgery of the University of Milano-Bicocca, Milan.
From October 2019 position of Associate Professor in Human Anatomy at the Department of Biotechnology and Biosciences (BtBs) of the University of Milano-Bicocca, Milan.
Human Anatomy for Medical and Dental Surgery students (MD Program and DDS Program) at the School of Medicine and Surgery – University of Milano-Bicocca (previously also for Bachelor’s degree in Nursing and Midwifery)
Neuroanatomy for Residency Program in Neurology and Neuropsychiatry – University of Milano-Bicocca
Member of the Faculty of Neuroscience PhD program (since 2002) – University of Milano-Bicocca
Director of Master in Osteopathic Sciences in 2014-2015 and 2016-2017- University of Milano-Bicocca
Morphological studies in the field of neuroanatomy, immunohistochemical studies in peripheral nervous system pathology, research in neurotoxicity of anticancer drugs in animal models. Study of neuropathological changes of the central nervous system in metabolic, immunological and inflammatory diseases.
Recent and current activity:
- Study of neurotoxicity of anticancer drugs on peripheral nervous system: collaboration in developing new in vivo and in vitro animal models of chemotherapy-induced peripheral neuropathies to understand their pathogenesis and to test neuroprotective compounds. The experience in the use of morphological methods is particularly applied in these studies.
- Study of the neuropathological changes in animal models of metabolic disease and of multiple sclerosis (EAE).
- Study of Neuroinflammation in aging
- Study on the effect of particulate matter in cardiovascular and neurodegeneration
Author of 77 papers on international peer-reviewed journals.
GRANTS OBTAINED AS PRINCIPAL INVESTIGATOR
- Three grants from Fondazione Banca del Monte di Lombardia (2014-2017)
Project title: “Pre-clinical study on the mechanisms of neurotoxicity of cancer chemotherapy”
- Grant from Fondazione Cariplo (2014-2018)
Project title: “Understanding the pathogenesis of oxaliplatin-induced peripheral neurotoxicity”
- Murtaj V, Belloli S, Di Grigoli G, Pannese M, Ballarini E, Rodriguez-Menendez V, Marmiroli P, Cappelli A, Masiello V, Monterisi C, Bellelli G, Panina-Bordignon P, Moresco RM. Age and Sex Influence the Neuro-inflammatory Response to a Peripheral Acute LPS Challenge. Front Aging Neurosci. 2019 Nov 5;11:299. doi: 10.3389/fnagi.2019.00299.
- Farina F, Lonati E, Milani C, Massimino L, Ballarini E, Donzelli E, Crippa L, Marmiroli P, Botto L, Corsetto PA, Sancini G, Bulbarelli A, Palestini P. In Vivo Comparative Study on Acute and Sub-acute Biological Effects Induced by Ultrafine Particles of Different Anthropogenic Sources in BALB/c Mice. Int J Mol Sci. 2019 Jun 8;20(11). pii: E2805. doi: 10.3390/ijms20112805.
- Meregalli C, Marjanovic I, Scali C, Monza L, Spinoni N, Galliani C, Brivio R, Chiorazzi A, Ballarini E, Rodriguez-Menendez V, Carozzi VA, Alberti P, Fumagalli G, Pozzi E, Canta A, Quartu M, Briani C, Oggioni N, Marmiroli P, Cavaletti G. High-dose intravenous immunoglobulins reduce nerve macrophage infiltration and the severity of bortezomib-induced peripheral neurotoxicity in rats. J Neuroinflammation. 2018 Aug 21;15(1):232. doi: 10.1186/s12974-018-1270-x.
- Marmiroli P, Riva B, Pozzi E, Ballarini E, Lim D, Chiorazzi A, Meregalli C, Distasi C, Renn CL, Semperboni S, Morosi L, Ruffinatti FA, Zucchetti M, Dorsey SG, Cavaletti G, Genazzani A, Carozzi VA. Susceptibility of different mouse strains to oxaliplatin peripheral neurotoxicity: Phenotypic and genotypic insights. PLoS One. 2017 Oct 11;12(10):e0186250. doi: 10.1371/journal.pone.0186250. eCollection 2017
- Canta A, Chiorazzi A, Carozzi VA, Meregalli C, Oggioni N, Bossi M, Rodriguez-Menendez V, Avezza F, Crippa L, Lombardi R, de Vito G, Piazza V, Cavaletti G, Marmiroli P. Age-related changes in the function and structure of the peripheral sensory pathway in mice. Neurobiol Aging. 2016 Sep;45:136-148. doi: 10.1016/j.neurobiolaging.2016.05.014. Epub 2016 May 20.
- Tambalo S, Peruzzotti-Jametti L, Rigolio R, Fiorini S, Bontempi P, Mallucci G, Balzarotti B, Marmiroli P, Sbarbati A, Cavaletti G, Pluchino S, Marzola P. Functional Magnetic Resonance Imaging of Rats with Experimental Autoimmune Encephalomyelitis Reveals Brain Cortex Remodeling. J Neurosci. 2015 Jul 8;35(27):10088-100. doi: 10.1523/JNEUROSCI.0540-15.2015.
- Carozzi VA, Chiorazzi A, Canta A, Meregalli C, Oggioni N, Cavaletti G, Marmiroli P. Chemotherapy-induced peripheral neurotoxicity in immune-deficient mice: new useful ready-to-use animal models. Exp Neurol. 2015 Feb;264:92-102. doi: 10.1016/j.expneurol.2014.11.002. Epub 2014 Nov 18.
Find out more on SCOPUS
INTERNATIONAL ACADEMIC COLLABORATIONS
- Centre for pain studies – University of Maryland, Baltimore, MD, USA (Prof. S. Dorsey)
- Department of Internal Medicine D and Interdisciplinary Center for Clinical Research (IZKF), University Hospital Münster, Münster, Germany (Prof. G. Ciarimboli)
- Johns Hopkins University, Baltimore, MD (Prof. D. Cornblath, Prof. A. Hoke, Dr. B. Slusher)